To evaluate interactions of EDTA with NaOCl.
- solutions consisting of 8.5% EDTA and 0.5% NaOCl were compared to a 1:1 mixture of 17% EDTA and 1% NaOCl for their Ca chelating ability, tissue dissolving ability, and antimicrobial properties
- amounts of available Cl determined in solutions using iodine/thiosulfate titration
- Ca chelation capacity titrated with pure Ca solution using murexide indicator
- weight loss of porcine palatal mucosal specimens incubated in solutions measured over time
- antimicrobial potential measured using agar diffusion test with E. faecalis
- presence of NaOCl had little effect on EDTA’s chelating ability or antimicrobial effect
- available Cl content decreased by 0.06% in EDTA/NaOCl mixes vs. 0.5% in NaOCl/H2O
- EDTA/NaOCl did not dissolve more tissue vs. pure EDTA
When mixed, EDTA retains chelating ability but NaOCl loses its tissue dissolving ability. Minimize usage together.