The purpose of this study was to evaluate the hemostatic efficacy and systemic cardiovascular effects of CollaCote™ collagen sponges saturated with 2.25% racemic epinephrine during endodontic surgery.
- 48 patients, 6 received CollaCote-saline and 42 received CollaCote-epinephrine.
- Blood pressure and pulse rate was recorded before and after administration of the local anesthetic, after the application of the test solutions, and before the patient’s dismissal.
- The adequacy of hemostasis was determined by the surgical operator.
- No significant difference in blood pressure or pulse rate between the experimental and control groups at any time.
- 5 out of 6 in saline group achieved hemostasis, 39 out of 42 in epinephrine group achieved hemostasis. 2 cases slight bleeding was apparent and 1 failure to control hemostasis.
Epinephrine provides excellent hemostasis with no evident changes in blood pressure or pulse rate. CollaCote is a plausible vehicle for delivery.