To examine the potential cross-reactivity between raw gutta percha, raw gutta balata, gutta percha points and NRL proteins by the inhibition enzyme linked immunosorbent (ELISA) and the FITkit assays.
- Different brands of gutta percha points, raw gutta balata and NRL gloves were obtained
- Samples were cut into 1–2 mm pieces. One gram of each sample was incubated in 5ml of extraction buffer containing phosphate-buffered saline, pH 7.4 and 0.05% Tween20 with or without bovine serum albumin overnight at room temperature with constant shaking.
- The ELISA inhibition assay was performed to assess the potential cross-reactivity between proteins extracted from gutta percha, gutta balata and NRL proteins from latex gloves.
- Samples were assayed for each of the four major known allergenic proteins (Hev b 1, Hev b 3, Hev b 5 and Hev b 6.02) using the FITKit (immunological test)
Most highlighted Results:
ELISA inhibition assay
1. Proteins from gutta percha points and raw gutta percha did not cross react with NRL antibodies, regardless of concentration of the extract.
2.NRL glove extracts demonstrated higher cross- reactivity than gutta percha point extracts with a significant difference for NRL gloves versus all 16 products sample.
1.Extracts of gutta percha points and raw gutta percha have little or no allergen proteins.
2.There is a statistically significant difference for latex allergens in NRL gloves versus all three samples of gutta percha.
The use of gutta percha endodontic points does not appear to initiate an allergic reaction in latex-allergic patients.