- Compare radiographic evidence of periapical healing after root canal therapy completed in one visit or two visits with an interim calcium hydroxide/chlorhexidine paste dressing.
- N= 97 patients w/radiographic evidence of apical periodontitis.
- Patients were randomly assigned to either the one-visit or two-visit group, and root canal therapy was performed with a standardized protocol. Patients in the two-visit group received an intracanal dressing of calcium hydroxide/chlorhexidine paste. Teeth were recalled at 1 yr and were evaluated with a PAI score.
- 63 patients were recalled at 1 yr.
- 33 in the one-visit and 30 in the two-visit group.
- Both groups exhibited equally favorable periapical healing at 12 months, with no statistically significant differences between groups.
No difference was noted in healing between teeth treated in 1 visit or 2 visits in necrotic teeth at 12 months.