- Compare implant restorations and NSRCT teeth in patients for four possible outcomes- success, survival, survival with subsequent treatment intervention and failure.
- N= 196 implant restorations and 196 matched initial NSRCT teeth.
- Data obtained from University of Minnesota (1993-2002). Treatment carried out by dental students, graduate residents, or staff clinicians. 1 year recall.
- Outcomes were as follows for implants and NSRCT outcomes, respectively:
- Success 73.5% and 82.1%;
- Survival with no intervention 2.6% and 8.2%
- Survival with intervention 17.9% and 3.6%
- Failure 6.1% and 6.1%
- Location of the restoration in the mouth did not affect outcome.
This study suggests that restored endodontically treated teeth and single-tooth implant restorations have similar failure rates.