To determine the position and size of the mental foramen on periapical, paralleled radiographs and to examine possible factors influencing its visualization.
- N= 75 dry, adult mandibles (age, sex, race were unknown).
- 2 SS markers were used . One on the buccal cusps of the molar to the canine and one as a plus sign on the mental foramen.
- The mental foramen was visualized on 75% of the horizontal radiographs.
- Mental foramen appears smaller radiographically than it does anatomically.
- The average distance from the radiographic apex of the second premolar to the center of the foramen was 2.18 mm mesially and 2.41 mm inferiorly.
- The average radiographic size of the mental foramen: 2.6 x 2.3mm.
Mental foramen location in relation to the 2nd premolar radiographic apex.