- Evaluate the success rate of root perforation repairs using MTA.
- N= 21 cases.
- Retrospective evaluation of perforations repaired with MTA at the University of Heidelberg between 2000 and 2006. Teeth with pre-op, post-op, and at least 1 year recall radiograph included. 4 of the perforations were in the furcation area, 7 at crestal bone level, 5 at the midroot level and 5 in the apical third of the root
- Healing rates = 100% furcal, 86% crestal, 80% midroot, 80% apical third
- Healing rate for single rooted teeth – 92%
- Healing rate for multi-rooted teeth – 75%
- Perforation size and healing percentage:
- >3mm – 67%
- 1-3mm – 88%
- <1mm – 90%
MTA can provide a biocompatible and long-term effective seal for root perforations in all parts of the root.